Benbow - Things to Do
Avenue of the Giants
The living museum of the world's largest trees begins 6 miles north of Garberville. This 31-mile scenic drive parallels Highway 101. Stop at Rockefeller Forest along the south fork of the Eel River to see Big Tree, Tall Tree, and Flat Iron Tree. In Myers Flat you'll find the famous Drive Thru Tree, and just up the road is the Humboldt Redwood State Park Visitor Center.
Pacific Lumber Company
Forty minutes north of the Benbow Historic Inn you'll find Scotia, one of the last company -owned towns in America. The sprawling Pacific Lumber Company mill lies alongside the Eel River and offers self-guided tours to visitors. There is a historic logging museum with photos, artifacts and machinery used in the logging camps at the turn of the century.
The best-preserved Victorian Village in California is located about fifty minutes drive from the Benbow Historic Inn. This colorful town is filled with antique stores, art galleries and shops. This town is also a favorite film location; most recently "Outbreak" and "The Majestic" was filmed there.
Forty-five minutes west of Redway lies the Cove: black sand beaches, surfing, abalone diving, ocean fishing, seals, sea lions, and great fish & chips. Don't let the curvy road scare you.
There are numerous places to hike throughout the Kings Range, the Lost Coast, and several state and national forest parks. The Lost Coast is one of California's most natural and scenic shorelines, and worthy of at least a day's worth of exploring.
The Lost Coast
Whether you hike it or drive it, come explore one of the most remote areas in California. Enjoy the scenic vistas of the rugged coastline and ancient redwood forests, and visit the historic towns of Honeydew, Petrolia, and Capetown.
Garberville, CA is the host to unique shops, art galleries, Garberville Theater, Library, Ray’s Market, gas stations and the Farmer's Market in the summer.
Benbow Historic Inn includes the Benbow KOA and Golf Course. The 9-hole course has been described as "challenging." The course can be played as 18 Holes from different tee boxes. There is a driving cage, putting green, Yamaha carts, hand carts and Junior tee boxes. Golf club rentals are available. No tee times are necessary.
Just a few miles south of Benbow Historic Inn, past some colorful redwood curio shops, you'll find Richardson Grove State Park, with trails along the river and through beautiful redwood stands.
River steelhead fishing season is January through March. The river then is closed to any fishing through April 1. The much-hated squawfish can be caught legally spring-fall. Salmon fishing in the Eel River runs November-December. Ocean salmon season runs August 1-November 15. Licenses, regulations, etc., can be found at Brown's Sporting Goods in Garberville. 923-2533.
We have bikes and helmets available to our guests free of charge.
- Humboldt County California's Redwood Coast
- Garberville/Redway Area Chamber of Commerce - For information on Southern Humboldt County
- Benbow Valley R.V. Resort and Golf Course - Directly adjacent to the Benbow Historic Inn.
- Shelter Cove / Lost Coast - Small fishing community that clings to the steep coast of Northern California.
- Humboldt Redwoods State Park is California's largest redwood state park. Come explore our many miles of trails and scenic highway. The world's tallest trees await you along the Avenue of the Giants.
- Richardson Grove State Park is where you first encounter significant old growth redwood forest when coming north. The 9th tallest coast redwood, a fallen tree ring study conducted in 1933, and a walk-through tree are immediately available.
- The world famous Headwaters Forest Reserve is nearby.
- Tour of The Avenue of the Giants from a motorcyclist's point of view.
- More info about The Avenue of the Giants.
- Photo tour of the Avenue by Jan Adams
- Among the Giants, Bob Neubauer's account of a trip through the redwoods.
- Humguide is your online source for activities and events in the Humboldt County area.
- The Humboldt Visitor - online and printed resource for the Humboldt tourist.
25 Things To Do in Humboldt County
Download our list below of the top 25 things to do while visiting Humboldt County. Please ask our Guest Services Representatives for more details regarding any of these popular attractions, and we will be happy to assist!