Famous Benbow Scones
The Benbow Historic Inn is known far and wide for many things - It's beautiful, remote location...It's views of the towering Redwood tree's and turqoise Eel River...And let's not forget, the traditional 'Benbow Scones' that our guests have adored since the Benbow Inn was open to the public in 1926!
Due to popular demand, we have decided to make our 'Secret Scone recipe' not so secret. Now you can take this small piece of the Benbow Inn to your home whenever that hinkling arises!
Benbow Traditional Scone Recipe
This special recipe requires the following ingredients:
- 1 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup of sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of salt
- 2 Teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda
- 5 Tablespoons of un-salted butter
- Approx. 1/2 Cup of cream
- 1/4 Cup of orange juice
- 3/4 Cup of orange zest (Grated)
- 1/4 Cup of currants
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add just enough cream and orange juice to form a soft dough.
- Add currants and mix well until combined.
- Turn out onto a floured board and roll out to 1 inch thickness.
- Cut into heart and place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg white.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.